Thursday, September 20, 2007

Of course we've got whales!


Visitors to the Bay of Fundy rightly assume they can go whale watching in the summer but are often unsure about the 'whale situation' in the Fall. Not to worry: there are plenty of whales here now! Here 's the scoop from a few of our whale watch businesses...

Yes, the whale watching season is still going on! We'll be operating until October 10 and depending on demand and whale sightings we may stay on a little longer. We have been sighting finback and minke whales inshore and offshore, and humpbacks offshore. We have a special departure for a Right Whale cruise on September 30 - our blog is updated daily pretty much with information and lots of pictures ~ Lisa at Quoddy Link Marine, St Andrews, New Brunswick

We'll be operating until the 15th of October (weather permitting). There are still plenty of whales around and they tend to remain until mid November. Still a lot of great sightings to come....I'm sure! ~ Barb at Mariner Cruises, Brier Island, Nova Scotia

Still lots of great whale watching to come in the Bay of Fundy. We'll be open until Oct 15th. We saw Humpbacks, Finbacks and Minke whales today. ~ David at Fundy Tide Runners, St Andrews, New Brunswick.

I'm usually the last operation in the region to close ..... end of October! Last year we saw 8-15 whales each of our last trips end of October (better than the summer!) Humpbacks and fin whales, but Right whales were also around through into November (last year) .... just further away (closer to Grand Manan). Tom at Ocean Explorations, Tiverton, Nova Scotia.

Photo credits: Red hood & whale tail - Becky Cook, Mariner Cruises
Whale tail - Quoddy Link Marine
.

1 comment:

Emma Beverage said...

Terri McCulloch;

I have spent a couple of hours enjoying your wonderful blog! I am a 57 year old college student. I am taking Oceanography and as my research project my Professor has assigned the Bay of Fundy to me. I am so glad that you have so much interesting information in your blog. I would like to site your blog as one of my sources. Don't worry my Professor will check my sources and I will not plagerize your work. I would like your permission to use some of the most striking photos in my reasearch paper. You may email me at: emmabeverage@yahoo.com to let me know how you feel about this. Sounds like you have a wonderful life! Keep up the great work.