Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cormorants & dinosaurs!


I certainly don't claim to know much about the millons of year that dinosaurs roaming Bay of Fundy - let's leave that to the fine folks at the Fundy Geological Museum and Joggins Fossil Cliffs (Nova Scotia) and the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John (New Brunswick).

Really though, if you look 'sideways' at some of today's animals, it's quite easy to believe that they evolved from dinosaurs. OK this connection may be tricky to see in your puppy or your budgie but how about a crocodile (not in Fundy!) or a whale (lots in Fundy).

For me, there is something about cormorants that makes me believe in dinosaurs. Cormorants are not most charming of birds: they're awkward, aggressive and strong....kind of pterodactyl-like? or so I think when I see them on my daily dog walk to the beach....

2 comments:

Desperate Housewife said...

I have no trouble believing blue herons came from dinosaurs. Beautiful from a distance, but a little scary close up!

Kim said...

While I will grant you a superficial similarity here, pterodactyls really didn't lead to cormorants.... but at least pteros and dinos are related.... and dinos did!