Wednesday, July 22, 2009

We know how to put the FUN in Fundy!

Big news this week around Bay of Fundy...our beautiful bay was selected as a finalist in a global campaign to declare the New7Wonders of Nature!! Those of you who've been following my blog know that we've been participating in this campaign for over a year. There were 440 nature sites originally and we just found out yesterday that 28 international sites have been shortlisted and Bay of Fundy is one of them!

Wow... this is exciting stuff! we now have the opportunity to showcase this awesome part of Canada to the rest of the world. I was digging around in my photo archive (in preparation for the media) and turned up this aerial shot of Bay of Fundy's Cape Split in Nova Scotia.

This photo sure takes me back a few decades. When I was a teenager growing up on the Bay of Fundy, I had two friends who flew airplanes so I spent a goodly bit of time flying over this very cape and other parts of Fundy in my 'spare time'. Not typical teenage hobby but one that probably sewed early seeds of interest in Bay of Fundy: certainly MY world wonder!

Thanks to my nature pal, Bob Guscott, for the pic.

5 comments:

Graham said...

Wow, that is an incredible photo of Cape Split! It might be hard to tell if you've never stood above those cliffs, buts its at least a 200 foot drop to the beach.

Terri said...

yes good point, Graham, that's one tallll cliff there. I also forgot to mention that folks can hike out to the end of Cape Split from Scots Bay. It's about 3 hrs out - fairly rough terrain in parts - but well worth the tromp!

Fiona Leonard said...

Gorgeous photo Terri. I enjoyed your blog, always good to see people who are so passionate about where they live.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Oh WOW! I wondered right off if it were Cape Split and 'tis!

Write and Earn a Living.com said...

Wow! Terry, what an incredible shot of Cape Split.

This is one of my favorite areas of Nova Scotia and is considered one of the best destinations for day hikers.

I wrote and article about Cape Split: http://backpacking-trips.suite101.com/article.cfm/hiking_to_cape_split_nova_scotia
which offers information about this striking landmark.

While I've seen it across the Bay of Fundy, this shot from the air gives an impressive glimpse of "the split".