Monday, October 23, 2006

Whales are following me!


The last thing I expected to see in the world's largest mall was a whale! I knew that West Edmonton Mall had “something for everyone” but I was surprised and oddly amused to discover a life-sized (albeit a bit stout) baleen whale sculpture emerging out of concrete tub in mall floor. Interpretation about this gentle giant was unfortunately a bit scant. With the volume of people moving through West Ed, it struck me as an interesting opportunity to raise awareness of Canadian whales, their endangerment and their sensitive habitats. Or maybe the wishing coins that speckle its tub could be collected for whale research. If such awareness has to take place indoors at least it is better than live shows were captive whales and other sea mammals are “on show”…in my view.

No comments: