Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Green Thai Curry Mussels

This month's mussel recipe: Green Thai Curry Mussels...mmmmm!
This recipe is imported from our neighbouring province: Newfoundland! I plucked it right off St John's Telegram newspaper's food section while visiting that fine part of Canada this week. I have to confess, I haven't made this recipe yet so if you venture forth before I do, send me a note to let me know how it turned out!!

Green Thai Curry Mussels
Serves 2 as a main, 4 as an appetizer

1 Tbsp veg oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 Tbsp green thai curry paste (or more if you like it spicier)
1 14 oz can coconut milk
juice of a lime
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 lbs fresh mussels
1/4 chpd cilantro

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and curry paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar & soy sauce and bring to a gentle simmer for 4-5 minutes. Add mussels, cover, and cook until just open (about 3-4 minutes). Divide the mussels and sauce among bowls, sprinkle with cilantro and serve. Can also be served atop steamed rice.

note:
green thai curry paste is available at Asian markets or in the Asian food aisle of most supermarkets.

Previous mussel recipes on my blog include October's Spiced Beer Mussels and September's Mussels Panagea. Enjoy!

No comments: