Monday, January 01, 2007

3 New Year's wishes for the Bay of Fundy

I'm not much of a resolution maker but as we move into the new year I realized that I do have three hopes for our beautiful bay in 2007:
1. that the Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) proposal for Passamaquoddy Bay (a part of the Bay of Fundy on the New Brunswick side bordering Maine) be CANCELLED,
2. that NO Fundy whales are injured by ships this year,
3. that discussions continue toward the possibility of TIDAL energy (which would result in the Bay of Fundy being respected throughout the world as a source of GREEN energy)....I think more needs to be known about the environmental impacts of tidal power but the idea is intriquing to me at this point.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kudos to you on your desire for and work towards Green Energy.

Here's a question for you: How will the Bay of Fundy be affected by rising sea levels? If the predictions about Global Warming affecting the sea level are true, I'd imagine it could cause some problems.

Terri said...

That's a very good question, Jean. I'm not entirely sure what the predictions are for Fundy. I know the folks at the Bedford Institute of Oceanography (among others) keep a pretty close eye on tidal activities (including surges, etc.). I know the 'tide guy' there so I'll check into it and include the info in a future posting. Terri