Sunday, January 21, 2007

Joggins Fossil Centre design

Just received this great concept photo from the team involved in the development of the Joggins Fossil Cliffs project on Chignecto Bay in the upper Bay of Fundy.

The 13,000 sq ft centre will house a gift shop, lab, about 6,000 ft of exhibition space devoted to the significance of the cliffs and will greatly improve access to the fossil beachs.

Wonderful to see that the building's design incorporates local sandstone as well as a couple of innovative 'green' features: a vegetation roof and a wind tower to provide electricity.

The Centre, which will open later this year, is expected to attract about 40,000 visitors annually from all over the world. I can't wait to head down there to see the finished product!

For more info on the Joggins Fossil Cliffs see my December post about its UNESCO World Heritage bid or visit the project website for frequent updates.

1 comment:

Nita Leger Casey said...

Hi, Thank you for your comment on my blog, I also love the Bay of Fundy,I have spend the last 15 summers painting the area , I stay at the Tide mill farm in Edmonds. Yes you may use my link. I also belong to the Plein air fundy painters ,a fairly new group.
good luck!
Nita Leger Casey
nlcasey@charter.net