Tuesday, January 09, 2007

What's a 100 billion tonnes of water?


Unless you've actually seen the tides here on the Bay of Fundy, it's a bit tricky to get your head around exactly what 100 billion tonnes of seawater looks like filling and emptying the bay twice a day. Short of having an aerial timed video of the tide moving in & out over 6 hours, I guess photos are the still the best option. (I'm totally up for doing the aerial if anyone has a spare helicopter they'd like to donate to the cause). There are many pairs of high/low tide photos that help to show the volume of water in our bay. I'll track them down and post them as I find them. These two photos were at Five Islands Provincial Park near where I live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Terri,
I just found your blogg and I´m amazed. I live in the middle of Europe (Czech republic, actually the blogger.com has home here:-) so we don´t have any sea. Your cowboy questions are the right way for me to explain how it all works.
I was in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick during summer two years ago to travel around, and we visited Minas Basin and were totally catched by the nature and the tides.
Thanks a lot for posting all these articles...
Eliška