Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Watch Fundy tides via webcam

If you'd like a sneak peek at Bay of Fundy's tides, check out a live webcam at one of our tidal harbours: Hall's Harbour, Nova Scotia.

This picture is a screen shot of the tide half way in this afternoon. At low tide these fishing boats would be sitting about 30 feet (10 metres) below on the ocean floor and at high tide they'll be right up alongside the top of the wharf! Tidal harbours like this are great places to witness the Bay of Fundy's vertical effect. These harbours fill up (and empty out!) twice in 24 hours.

The great thing about Hall's Harbour is that you can buy lobster from Hall's Harbour Lobster Pound to eat at the beach. You can also walk on this beach at low tide.

To see Hall's Harbour webcam click this link for Nova Scotia Webcams live feeds.

3 comments:

sally from NH said...

love this!! I can smell the air! I miss NS so much!! I've never been to Hall's Harbour, but it looks so nice!

Jamie Anne said...

Hi there!

I randomly came across your blog one day, and very much enjoyed it. Your enthusiasm, love and respect for the great Bay of Fundy is refreshing, and has become a favorite read of mine. I've actually added your blog here to my daily RSS feed, so I don't miss a post.

A favorite webcam page of mine is http://www.peggyscovewebcam.ca/live/

It gives you a live feed of the famous lighthouse. I enjoy it most on stormy days when you can see the waves crashing up around the rocks. Or cold crisp winter days when the site is isolate, minus one or two faithful visitors roaming around on the rocks.

I thought you might appreciate the link, if you haven't already been.

In closing, as a fellow Maritimer (I live in Saint John), it's so nice to hear of other people's appreciation for the Bay that surrounds us. I find for the most part, it's something noone ever seems to take for granted. It's inspiring how much YOU seem to love and appreciate the water. Thank you for sharing your adventures for all of the interweb to read.

Terri said...

awww thanks, Jamie Anne, for your feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to write. I know my blog has quite a few loyal readers from all around the bay and it's always great to hear from you. By the way, if you have a hidden gem - location or topic - about the bay that I haven't covered yet, please feel free to send me an idea!! eyes & ears around the bay are much appreciated...Terri