Monday, May 19, 2008

Red Rose Tea - A Fundy favourite!

The Bay of Fundy seemed to be following me in one particular way during my travels to the western part of our country last week ~ here's a photo of the tea I was served at my hotel: Red Rose Tea. Red Rose Tea was established in Saint John, New Brunswick, in 1894. Its orange pekoe tea was said to be made from only the top two leaves of each tea plant sprig this ensuring its superior quality. Initially the tea was only sold in our region but later went on to become one of the world's best known teas. Red Rose Tea still contains high grown leaves from Sri Lanka, Kenya, India and Indonesia.

Any of you who are my age or older may remember the Marquis Chimpanzees starring in three Red Rose Tea commercials in the 19060s. The most popular of these showed plaid-suited chimps playing a swinging jazz tune in praise of Red Rose. Now, thanks to YouTube, you can take a trip down nostalgia lane.

No comments: